B.Sc. (Hons) Statistics
B.Sc. (Hons) Statistics is a three year under graduate degree program which focuses on the collection, meaningful segregation, and interpretation of data. B.Sc. (Hons) Statistics program provides an analytical and conceptual understanding of the subject to students so that they are able to apply knowledge practically.
Eligibility & Admission
Passed 10+2 or equivalent examination in Science stream with Mathematics subject
- Curriculum is based on a learning outcomes-based curriculum framework (LOCF).
- Prepare graduates who are not only statistically sound but also capable of using their appropriate statistical skills in interdisciplinary areas such as finance, health, agriculture, government, business, industry, telecommunication, and biostatistics. As a result, they can pursue their future career either in the core field or in the applied field of Statistics.
- To familiarize students with computational techniques and software used in the statistical arena.
- A number of elective courses including practical training on realistic problems, and extensive insight into statistical computations using standard statistical packages. Standard statistical packages, namely, MINITAB, MATLAB, R, MATHEMATICA, SAS, S-SPLUS, STATISTIKA, etc. are used in all practical courses and project work.
- Duration: Three Years
- Pattern: Semester System
- During first two semesters, students will be given the basic information that includes methods of data representation and summarization. Further, they will be introduced to probability and distributions along with applications.
- During third and fourth semesters, students are expected to study statistical inference, regression analysis, numerical analysis and sampling techniques.
- During fifth and sixth semesters, some theory papers and practical deal with theoretical as well as applied aspects of statistics. Besides, they are supposed to take up a Project Work preferably on a problem related to industries.
He/She can pursue :
- M.Sc.in Actuarial science, in Library and Information Science, in Quantitative Economics, in Applied Statistics and informatics.
- MCA, MBA.
- Masters in Statistics, Masters in Mathematics
B. Central Government :
1) Statistical Investigator : S.S.C For NSSO
2) Research Officer : R.B.I.
3) Research Assistant or Research Officer in
i) Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR)
ii) Indian Council of Social Scientific Research
iii) Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology and Research Institute.
iv) Bureau of Indian Standards (ISI)
v) International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai State-Governm¬
1) Statistical Officer, Statistician, D.S.O, D.P.O.: M.P.S.C.
2) Joint Director, Deputy Director. R.O.: Directorate of Economics & Statistics
3) Sr. Statistician & Jr.Statistician: CIDCO Bhavan, Mumbai 4) Statistical Assistant, E.O. (Statistics) : Zila Parishad
5) Chief Statistician: Commissionerate of Agriculture.
1) Divisional Statistician : Maharashtra State Road & Transport Corporation (MSRTC)
2) Statistician : All Nationalized Banks (Such as SBI)
3) Actuarial Apprentice : LIC / GIC
4) Lecturer in Agricultural Universities / Colleges / NARS
5) JRA / SRA : Agricultural Universities
6) Lecturer for B.Sc. (Statistics) in Senior College.
E.Private Sector :
- Manufacturing Companies (QC and R & D)
Manager, Statistical Analytics, Quality Inspector, Data Analytics (Jr & Sr), Research Assistant. (Garware Polyester, Bajaj Auto, Kirloskar Udyog, Philips India, Jain Udyog, Hindustan Lever, IMRB, Tata Motors, TCS etc.)
- IT / Electronics
Business Analytics, Statistician (Jr & Sr), Data Analytics, Software Engineer Analytics, SAS Programmer. (Persistent, Geometric, Metric Solutions, Cytel, SAS India , Symphony, Systat, Quantlink, NIC.
- Pharmaceutical / Bio-Tech
Biostatistician (Jr & Sr), Researcher, SAS Programmer or Programmer , Manager, Director, Statistics Programmer (Dr. Reddy’s Lab Cipla, SkyePharma, Ranbaxy)