Statistics is an important branch of knowledge and is devoted to various techniques of collection, presentation, analysis and interpretation of data. It is a science of learning from data. Statistics provides tools for making decisions when conditions of uncertainty prevail. Hence Statistical tools and techniques are used in almost all fields which are indispensable for people working in fields like agriculture, business, management, economics, finance, insurance, education, biotechnology and medical science, etc.
M.Sc.(Hons) Statistics is a two year post graduate degree program which is being divided into four semesters. The program deals with core areas of statistics such as Distribution Theory, Probability Theory, Statistical Inference –I, Regression Analysis etc.
Eligibility & Admission
Passed B.Sc. (Statistics or Mathematics) or B.Sc. (Statistics with Computer Science Applications) or any other relevant degree with Mathematics
Duration: Two year PG Course
- Good balance between theory and applications of concepts of statistics.
- Industry-driven curriculum with excellent techniques in data analysis.
- Exposure to practical aspects, application-oriented subjects like business analytics and programming languages.
- Gain experiences of trained professionals to develop the ability to meet the demands of the Data Processing and Analytics Industry
- To expose computational techniques and software used in statistical area.
- Duration: Two Years
- Pattern: Semester System
- Higher studies: Student can go in the research field and pursue M. Phil. or Ph.D. in statistics.
- Central Government:
1) Indian Statistical Service : UPSC
2) Statistical Investigator : S.S.C For NSSO
3) Research Officer : R.B.I.
4) Research Assistant or Research Officer in
i) Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR)
ii) Indian Council of Social Scientific Research
iii) Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology and Research Institute.
iv) Bureau of Indian Standards (ISI)
v) International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai State-Government
1) Statistical Officer, Statistician , D.S.O, D.P.O. : M.P.S.C.
2) Joint Director, Deputy Director. R.O. : Directorate of Economics & Statistics
3) Sr.Statistician & Jr.Statistician : CIDCO Bhavan, Mumbai 4) Statistical Assistant , E.O. (Statistics) : Zila Parishad
5) Chief Statistician : Commissionerate of Agriculture
1) Divisional Statistician : Maharashtra State Road & Transport Corporation (MSRTC)
2) Statistician : All Nationalized Banks (Such as SBI)
3) Actuarial Apprentice : LIC / GIC
4) Lecturer in Agricultural Universities / Colleges / NARS
5) JRA / SRA : Agricultural Universities
6) Lecturer for B.Sc. (Statistics) in Senior College.
- Private Sector :
- Manufacturing Companies (QC and R & D)
Manager, Statistical Analytics, Quality Inspector, Data Analytics (Jr & Sr), Research Assistant. (Garware Polyster, Bajaj Auto, Kirloskar Udyog, Philips India, Jain Udyog, Hindustan Lever, IMRB, Tata Motors, TCS etc.)
- IT / Electronics
Business Analytics, Statistician (Jr & Sr) , Data Analytics, Software EngineerAnalytics, SAS Programmer. ( Persistent, Geometric, Metric Solutions, Cytel, SAS india , Symphony, Systat, Quantlink , NIC.
- Pharmaceutical / Bio-Tech
Biostatistician (Jr & Sr) , Researcher , SAS Programmer or Programmer , Manager , Director, Statistics Programmer (Dr Reddy’s Lab Cipla, SkyePharma, Ranbaxy).