MGM University offers Ph.D.
- MGM University offers Ph.D. program in a wide range of research areas in the disciplines of Engineering and Technology, Basic and Applied Sciences, Management, Computer Sciences, IT, Bio-Technology and Journalism, Social Sciences, education, performing arts and Indian and Foreign Languages.
- Availability of highly experienced and motivated research oriented faculty members provides excellent opportunities to the research scholars to excel in the field of research. The university undertakes sponsored research and development projects from industrial and other organizations in public as well as private sectors.
- The University is well equipped with state-of-the-art research facilities of matching global standards in all disciplines to facilitate quality research. Exclusive research laboratories with sophisticated equipment, IT infrastructure including essential softwares for research, latest books, international and national journals of repute are hallmarks of research infrastructure of the university. Tie ups with sister institutes and other universities have been put in place for interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research.
- Admission to the Ph. D. program is made through MGM Ph.D. Entrance Test (MGM PET) and an interview/viva voce and a presentation of the research proposal. After selection, the student must successfully complete course work, qualify examination (if any), publish research papers, attend seminars, present and defend a dissertation to earn the doctorate degree. Besides the mandatory requirements, students are encouraged to participate in several professional activities such as workshops, review meetings and conferences.
Research Disciplines and Domains.
Colleges/Institutes/Departments of MGM University conduct research work on contemporary domains in a wide variety of disciplines and domains. However, the scope is not restricted to the given themes and domains as evolving new research themes is a continuous process.
Eligibility and Admission Procedure
Subject to the conditions stipulated in the ordinances, the following persons are eligible to seek admission to the Ph.D. program:
- Master’s Degree holders or a professional degree declared equivalent to the master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55 % marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational institution accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose assessing accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50% , or an equivalent of grade, is allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC/SBC/NT (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the UGC from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September 1991. The eligibility marks of 55 % (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5 % to the categories mentioned above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks without including the grace mark procedures.
- Candidates who have cleared the M. Phil. course work with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and successfully completing the M.Phil. degree shall be eligible to proceed to do research work leading to the Ph.D. Degree in the same institution in an integrated program. A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50% , or an equivalent of grade, will be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC/SBC/NT (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the UGC from time to time.
- Candidates possessing a Degree considered equivalent to M.Phil. Degree of an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions, shall be eligible for admission to Ph.D. program.
Procedure for Admission.
MGM University shall admit Ph.D. students through an Entrance Test conducted at the level of the University. Terms and conditions for Ph.D. Entrance Test for those students who qualify UGC-NET (including JRF)/UGC- CSIR NET (including JRF)/GATE /MGM University fellowship holder or have passed M.Phil programme have been given in the ordinances. The following will apply:
- MGM University decides on an annual basis, through their academic bodies, a predetermined and manageable number of Ph.D. scholars to be admitted in each discipline depending on the number of available Research Guides and other academic and physical facilities available, keeping in mind the norms regarding the scholar- teacher ratio laboratory, library and such other facilities in each discipline.
The university notifies well in advance in the university website and through advertisement in at least two (2) national newspapers, of which at least one (1) shall be in the regional language that the university is inviting applications for Ph.D. program and the time schedule for the entire admission process. Number of Ph.D. seats subject/discipline wise distribution of available seats, criteria and procedure for admission, entrance test centers and all other information is given.
Forty percent seats will be reserved for students who have completed their PG program from the state of Maharashtra. State government reservation policy will be adhered to. Remaining 60 % seats will be treated as open seats.
The candidates will apply to MGM University for Ph.D. program online on the university website and pay the application fee.
The university shall admit eligible candidates by a two stage process through:
- MGM University Ph.D. Entrance Test will be conducted two parts i.e. Part I based on Research Methodology and Part II will be subject specific and it will be a proctored Test.
- Personal interview/viva-voce where the candidate will be required to discuss their research interest/area through a presentation before duly constituted Department Research Committee (DRC).
Rs. 5000/- (to be paid while submitting the online Application Form for admission to Ph.D. program on the university website www.mgmu.ac.in. Foreign students will pay $100. The fee is non-refundable). This fee includes fee of MGM University Ph.D. Entrance Test.
Program fees. Program fee for Ph.D. program will be as given below:
|Details of Fees||Indian Students (INR)||Foreign Students (INR)|
Selected candidates with outstanding research proposals may be considered for fellowships as per the recommendations of the respective RACs and the approval of the appropriate authorities of the university.
Click here to check number of seats for Ph.D. program in various faculties.
Tentative Ph.D. Program Calendar:
|Receiving Applications||28 July – 08 Aug 21|
|Conduct of PET||13 Aug 21|
|Declaration of result||16 Aug 21|
|Declaration of the Merit List||–|
|Admissions||24 Aug – 04 Sep 21|
|Program Commencement||06 Sep 21|