Diploma in Natyashastra
DANCE | MUSIC | THEATRE | FOLK ARTS | INDIC STUDIES
Diploma in Natyashastra – 1 Year (2 semesters)
The Natyashastra is probably the oldest dramaturgical treatise on the performing arts in Sanskrit attributed to sage Bharata Muni, and its first complete compilation is dated at the beginning of the ‘Treta Yuga’, approximately 2 million years ago though there are also claims of dating it between 200 BCE and 200 CE. The Natyashastra is notable as an ancient encyclopedic treatise on the arts which consists of 36 chapters with a cumulative total of 6000 poetic verses describing performance arts. The subjects covered by the treatise include dramatic composition, structure of a play and the construction of a stage to host it, genres of acting, body movements, make up and costumes, role and goals of an art director, the musical scales, musical instruments and the integration of music with art performance.
न तज्ज्ञानं न तच्छिल्पं न सा विद्या न सा कला ।
नासौ योगो न तत्कर्म नाट्येऽस्मिन् यन्न दृश्यते ॥
Na tat Gyaanam Na tat Shilpam Na sa Vidyaa Na sa Kalaa
Na sau Yogo Na tat Karman Naatye asmin Yanna Drishyate
“There is no knowledge (gyaan), craft (Shilpa), science (Vidya), art (Kala), yoga or deed (Karma) that does not fall within the purview of Performing Arts” – says Bharata in Natyashastra.
The Diploma program aims at providing a deeper understanding about the ancient Indian society, belief system, art forms, enactment, design, writing, symbols of expression and much more. The program is useful for students, practitioners and teachers of drama, dance, music and fine arts. It can also be a value addition for architects, designers, writers and creative minds seeking to expand their imagination.
- Duration : One Year
- Pattern : Semester System (2 semesters)
- Stimulating learning content, theory classes, creative assignments
- Lectures and sessions on a range of subjects – architecture, drama, dance, music, instruments, design, costume, philosophy, aesthetics, sociology, ethics, literature, writing and staging plays and performances, etc.
- Periodic workshops, symposiums
- International & National seminars
- Visiting Gurus, experts, scholars, artists
- Opportunities to witness performances, presentations
- Cultural & Social outreach
- Evaluation through written tests, project submissions
- Candidates should have passed minimum class XII.
- No upper Age Limit
- Applicants can be from any academic background
- Application fees : INR 1000, For foreign nationals & NRIs : USD 70.
- Tuition fees : INR 25,000, For foreign nationals & NRIs : USD 375 for one year.
- Fill and Submit the Online Application form on the website page
- Applicants will be asked to appear for an Interview