Diploma in Dhrupad Music
DANCE | MUSIC | THEATRE | FOLK ARTS | INDIC STUDIES
Diploma in Dhrupad Music – 2 Years (4 semesters)
Kalā Udayan Dhrupad | कला उदयन ध्रुपद
Diploma programmes are of 2 years (4 semesters) duration that are suitable for part-time students and young musicians
The programme can be taken by students of Music – both vocal and melodic instrument (flute, sitar, sarod, veena, surbahar, etc)
- Training system is an ideal blend of traditional Gurukul training and contemporary trends in education aimed at producing musicians with an ability to understand the music form through active teaching and outreach initiatives
- The programme helps the learner develop a good understanding of the Dhrupad tradition, technical aspects and contextual studies with respect to different music forms.
- The curriculum facilitates introduction to the multi-layered aspects of Indian Music Heritage, of music techniques from across the world, history of the chosen dance form and symbols and metaphors with static and dynamic movements within a dance tradition
- The learner is encouraged to create short music pieces based on the training, understand the Dhrupad philosophy and blend concepts from theory and practice during the training programme
- The learner is also offered internships and projects with a range of arts organisations, companies, schools and colleges
- Duration : Two Years, Part Time Programme
- Pattern : Semester System (2 semesters in each level, total 4 semesters)
- Gurukul Pattern, Gurukul ambience
- Music residencies, ‘Riyaaz’ (practice) sessions
- Periodic workshops, symposiums
- International & National seminars
- Performance opportunities in inhouse ‘baithaks’
- Study tours / visits to organizations of cultural importance
- Visiting Gurus, experts, scholars, artists
- Opportunities to witness many dance performances
- Cultural & Social outreach
- Credit based learning
Candidates should have passed minimum class XII and with training in any form of traditional music for minimum 3-4 years in recent years.
Students who are pursuing MADHYAMA of Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalay or equivalent can apply
- Application fees : INR 1000, For foreign nationals & NRIs : USD 70.
- Tuition fees : INR 20,000 Per year, For foreign nationals & NRIs : USD 300 Per Year.
- Fill and Submit the Online Application form on the website page https://mgmu.ac.in/admissions/faculty/MAHAGAMI.html
- Applicants will be asked to appear for a Music Audition
- Applicants should be able to give short demonstration of swar or Alap and basic melodic passages/ composition in an Indian Raag