The Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Mechanical Engineering degree program is approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi and offers Choice Based Credit System education.
The program aims to equip students with professional skills for successful career in mechanical and allied industries. The Department of Mechanical Engineering is one of the prime departments at JNEC which accommodates Central Workshop, Innovation Incubation & Research Center (IIRC), Incubation Centre for Vehicle Development, and ten departmental laboratories.
Since its establishment in the year 1988, Department of Mechanical Engineering has skilled thousands of undergraduate and from 2008 postgraduate students for successful career in the various sectors of global economy. The department, an integral part of JNEC Research Center which offers doctoral program, is enriched with Doctorate and Post Doctorate faculty members having expertise in diverse fields. For doctoral degree (Ph.D.) program identified research areas are in Manufacturing, Thermal, Design, Quality and Reliability Engineering domains. Students are groomed with interdisciplinary approach towards Robotics, Mechatronics, Industrial Automation and Industry 4.0 in addition to the core fields of studies in Thermal, Manufacturing and Design Engineering. The program integrates value based education through National Service Scheme (NSS) and volunteering services keeping societal challenges in mind.
Department offers courses in emerging areas and cutting-edge technologies like Robotics and Industrial Automation, Additive Manufacturing, Pneumatics & Hydraulics, Industry 4.0, Artificial Intelligence etc. Academic delivery of these courses is exercised by experienced faculty with application orientation. Innovative learning initiatives such as Problem Based Learning, Project Based Learning and Activity Based Learning in addition to traditional classroom model are equipping students with problem solving skills to explore career opportunities in various industrial sectors.
Innovation Incubation and Research Center equipped with Advanced Technological Platform
- Industrial Mechatronics (Christiani Sharpline Technical Training P.Ltd. Germany)
- Industrial Hydraulics & Pneumatics (CSTT and FESTO Germany)
- Industrial Automation (Siemens Germany)
- CAD/CAM/CAE/CIM/CFD Labs(MSC Adams USA)
- Industrial Robotics (TAL India and YASKAWA Japan)
- Autonomous Vehicle ( Driverless Car-ADAS USA)
- Electric Vehicle Lab (CSTT Germany)
- Advanced Drone Lab
- Flowtech Division Lab ( Endress+Hauser, Germany)
- Additive Manufacturing and Reverse Engineering Lab (Stratasys Hexagon USA and Zortrax Poland)
- Massive Open Online Course facility for students for skill upgradation and certification by premier institutes like IIT
- Industry Collaborated Skill Development Programs:
- Tata Technologies Ready Engineer Program
- Aspiring Minds Common Aptitude Test
- Connect with Industries through curriculum design and MoU with eminent industries in manufacturing sector for in plant training, expert lectures, industrial visits, faculty training and mentorship
- Industry sponsored projects under the aegis of JNEC-MASSIA-GIZ collaboration
- Strong alumni entrepreneur network
The total credits students need to complete are 160 and are usually completed in 4 academic years. One academic year is divided into two semesters. Continuous and Comprehensive Assessment (CCA) based on evaluation rubrics comprising formative & summative assessments is carried out during each semester. The quality is assessed by grading system.
Mechanical Engineering is one of the comprehensive disciplines among all engineering disciplines. It offers platform for a great deal of interdisciplinary wok. Mechanical engineering graduates apply knowledge and skills of materials, design and manufacturing to continuously develop new products and processes. Career opportunities for mechanical engineering graduates available in following industry sectors:
- Automotive Industry
- Maintenance Engineering
- Aerospace Industry
- Energy & Power sector
- Railway Engineering
- Defense Sector
- Space research
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Process Industry