Bachelor of Performing Arts–Odissi (BPA-Odissi)
DANCE | MUSIC | THEATRE | FOLK ARTS | INDIC STUDIES
Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) in Odissi Dance – 4 years (8 semesters)
Kalā Vid Odissi | कला विद् उडीसी
BPA programs are of 4 years duration that are ideal for full-time students and those seeking to make Performing Arts their future career. In addition to theory and practical in the chosen dance form, many Generic courses like Indology, Ancient History; Elective courses like music, vadya, theatre; Ability Enhancement courses like languages, yoga; are taught to the learners.
- Training system is an ideal blend of traditional Gurukul training and contemporary trends in education aimed at producing dancers with an ability to create own artistic work, present and teach performative arts and engage in outreach initiatives
- The program helps the learner develop a strong command on the technique, vocabulary and contextual studies with respect to the chosen dance form
- The curriculum facilitates introduction to the multi-layered aspects of Indian Dance Heritage, of dance techniques from across the world, history of the chosen dance form and symbols and metaphors with static and dynamic movements within a dance tradition
- The learner is trained to create short dance narratives, understand body dynamics and blend concepts from theory and practice during the training program
- The learner is offered internships and placements with a range of dance organisations, companies, schools and colleges
- Duration : Four Years, Full Time Program
- Pattern : Semester System (2 semesters in each level, total 8 semesters)
- Choice-based credit system
- Gurukul Pattern, Gurukul ambience
- Dance residencies, intense ‘Riyaaz’ (practice) sessions with live music
- Rigorous dane training, theory classes, creative assignments
- Generic courses like Indology, Ancient History, symbolism, iconography, archeology, etc.
- Elective courses like music, vadya, theatre arts, visual arts, photography, arts writing
- Ability Enhancement courses like languages (Sanskrit, English, Braj, Avadhi, Oriya, Marathi, Hindi), yoga, wellness & nutrition, light design, music editing, etc.
- Skills like pottery, sculpture, weaving, painting, costume design,etc.
- Periodic workshops, symposiums
- International & National seminars
- Performance opportunities in India & abroad
- Collaborative projects with institutions/Universities in India & abroad
- Study tours / visits to organizations of cultural importance
- Visiting Gurus, experts, scholars, artists
Candidate should have passed minimum class XII with minimum 50% and past training in chosen dance for minimum 5 years in recent years.
Students who are pursuing UDBHAV of MAHAGAMI GURUKUL or MADHYAMA of Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalay or equivalent can apply.
- Application fees : INR 1000, For foreign nationals & NRIs : USD 70.
- Tuition fees : INR 50,000 Per year, For foreign nationals & NRIs : USD 700 Per Year.
- Fill and Submit the Online Application form on the website page https://mgmu.ac.in/admissions/faculty/MAHAGAMI.html
- Applicants should appear and qualify in the Entrance Test (CET)
- Second round of selection will be through Dance Audition
- Applicants should be able to give short demonstration of Nritta (Pallavi or Batu) and one Mangalacharan/Vandana or any narrative dance passage (Nritya)