B.Sc. Microbiology (Hons.) is a four year degree program structured to be completed in eight semesters (two semesters per year). B. Sc. Microbiology course introduces students with the concepts of microbiology and till the completion of the course aims to make them competent for the opportunities in academia, research and industry.
Microbiology is the study of microorganisms. Microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, algae and viruses play a very important role in ecology, health and industry. Complete understanding of structure, function and contained use of microorganisms is important for productive application of microorganisms to derive economic benefit. This requires various skills necessary for isolation, culture, identification and improvement of microorganisms. Study of microbiology course will equip student with requisite skills to become competent for services in agriculture, pharmaceutical, and food industries where these skills are required and are in demand.
- Develops conceptual understanding of biology
- The prime focus is on the study of principles of microbiology and its relevance to industrial applications
- Aims to develop competent professionals
- To equip students with corporate skills
- Familiarize with research methodology, practices and to build research aptitude
- To provide internship opportunity
- Flexible course structure with choice based credit system taking into consideration student’s requirements, aptitude, subject choice and freedom of learning
- Emphasis on basic as well as advanced concepts in the field of microbiology
- Up to date syllabus with inclusion of cutting edge areas in the field of microbiology
- In First three years students will complete all required classroom and lab courses to prepare them for final year project and apprenticeship
- In final year seventh semester students will undertake a research project in the topic of their choice
- The final year eighth semester will be for internship at industry to get hand on experience of industrial work