Distortion-free watermarking technique for verifying integrity of relational databasesVaibhav K
Title of the work: Distortion-free watermarking technique for verifying integrity of relational databases.
Type of Copyright: Computer Software Work
- Dr. Sharvari C. Tamane, Professor and Head, Department of Information Technology, Jawaharlal Nehru Engineering College, MGM University, Aurangabad
- Ms. Seema Siledar, Research Scholar, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad.
Problem Statement: Authorized or unauthorized users may update relational databases intentionally or unintentionally. To detect such modifications and verify the integrity of databases, distortion-free watermarking techniques can be used.
Objectives of the software:
- To generate fragile watermark from the contents of the database
- To detect insertion, deletion, and modification attacks
- To localize the tampered contents to the finest possible granularity
Software details: The software is developed in Python, and it is comprised of the following five modules:
- Watermark Generation: Create image as a watermark from relational database.
- Tamper Detection: Compare watermarks of original and suspicious databases. If the watermarks do not match, then, determine the type of attack, otherwise, declare the database to be genuine.
- Insertion Attack: If the attacker has added some tuples into the database, then, insertion attack has taken place.
- Deletion Attack: If the attacker has deleted some tuples from the database, then, deletion attack has taken place.
- Modification Attack: If the attacker has modified values from the database, detect them and find the exact position of such tampered cells.
Applications: This software can be utilized in areas such as banking, medical, finance, defense, and public or private sectors.